This post contains some affiliate links. The prices remain the same for you. If you do choose to order any of the products through my affiliate link(s) I thank you for your support. Please see my disclosure for more information. This post is not sponsored in any way.
This past weekend was St. Patrick’s Day and I was thinking about all of the fun green foods my mother used to make us/make with us for the holiday.
I began thinking about the corned beef and cabbage, the green eggs and ham (literally), the shamrock shaped cookies we always used to make and the yummy chocolate chip mint pancakes she always had freshly prepared for us the morning of St. Patricks Day. I had forgotten about how delicious those pancakes were, as it has been many years since my mother had made them for us.
Inspired to make my childhood dreams a reality for this Irish holiday, I woke up determined to make these pancakes following her recipe, of course modifying it to be gluten free and vegan.
I was surprised at how easy and DELICIOUS it was to make these pancakes a reality! All I needed were a few ingredients I already had laying around the house. Thankfully, I always have a bag of Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chips on hand. 😉
This recipe is so easy and is perfect all year round if you are craving a mint chip (you can always omit the food dye). All you need are a few things:
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (This one is my favorite)
- Vegan Egg Substitute (I use Ground flaxseed & water – great instructions here) or Regular Eggs if not Vegan
- Earth Balance Organic Vegan Butter
- Rumford Gluten Free & Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- Organic Cane Sugar (This one I like the most)
- Dairy Free Milk
- Vanilla Extract
- Mint Extract (This one is the best)
- India Tree Nature’s Colors Plant Based Food Dye
- Enjoy Life Mini Chips
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients you are ready to start cooking (or do you bake pancakes?) Grab your apron and let’s get minty!
If you are interested in how I got each pancake to be perfectly round it is because I used my Dash Mini Maker Griddle to make the pancakes, I LOVE this little griddle so much and make many things with it as it is my dedicated gluten free mini cooking space!
Don’t forget to share how your Vegan Chocolate Chip Mint Pancakes turned out by tagging @chronicallyglutenfree on Instagram or @ChronicallyGF on Twitter. I love seeing you guys make and enjoy my recipes! 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Chip Mint Pancakes - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
These gluten free and vegan chocolate chip mint pancakes will have you begging for more. Made with allergy friendly ingredients so anybody can enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour make sure that xanthan gum is an ingredient in the flour, if not you will need to add 1 tsp to the recipe so the pancakes rise
- 3 tsp Rumford GF Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Pink Salt
- 1 Vegan Egg (Use Regular Egg if not Vegan) 1 TBSP Flaxseed meal + 2.5 TBSP water per egg
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Organic Vegan Butter melted
- 1 1/4 cup Dairy Free Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 10 drops India Tree Plant Based Food Dye 5 drops of the blue and 5 of the yellow - add more or less depending on how green you want your pancakes
- 1/2 bag Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips
In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter, egg, milk, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and food dye.
In a smaller bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and chocolate chips.
Add in the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and mix until combined. If you want a deeper green, add more food dye. NOTE: this food dye is plant based, so you will need to add a significant amount to reach the shade of green that is pictured in the recipe.
Make pancakes in desired size on desired cooking platform. A teflon surface works best.
Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!