With Cinco De Mayo right around the corner, I figured I would spice things up and bring you a Mexican inspired dish this week! I really love Mexican cuisine because it is SO easy to make gluten and dairy free.
My mom used to make a different Mexican inspired dish every day of the week leading up to Cinco De Mayo and enchilada casserole night was my favorite (right behind tacos of course)! I have Celiac Disease & a severe intolerance to dairy so it is important that I follow a strict gluten and dairy free diet.
When I re-created this recipe from my mother’s it was SO easy I was able to get it right on the first try (usually it takes me a few tries to adapt one of her recipes to get it just right). Not to mention, it is quick to put together and you can even prep it the night before!
You only need a few things to get this Vegan Enchilada Casserole ready for your fiesta:
- 9×11 Casserole Dish
- Mission Foods Corn Street Tacos (24 ct)
- 2 Cans of Black Refried Beans
- 2 Cans of Hatch Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce (It is important that you ENSURE there is no wheat flour in your enchilada sauce as it is common, this brand is the best, never had an issue with it)
- 1 Bag of Vegan So Delicious Shredded Cheddar Cheese
I promise you this will be one of the most delicious casseroles you ever eat!
Don’t forget to share how your Gluten Free Vegan Enchilada Casserole turned out by tagging @chronicallyglutenfree on Instagram or @ChronicallyGF on Twitter. I love seeing you guys make and enjoy my recipes! 🙂
Tasty Vegan Enchilada Casserole - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
Ignite your taste buds with this tasty gluten free & vegan enchilada casserole. With the perfect amount of spice and flavor this will be the tastiest casserole you've ever eaten!
- 1 pack Mission Gluten Free Corn Tortillas (24 ct) if you want to use a different brand thats fine, you need 24 tortillas.
- 2 cans Refried Black Beans
- 2 cans Gluten Free Enchilada Sauce the brand hatch is my favorite
- 1 bag So Delicious Dairy Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 bunch Cilantro
Pre-heat oven to 400°
In casserole dish, spread out a tablespoon of enchilada sauce on the bottom and lay out 6 tortillas to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
Spread a layer of the black refried beans on top. TIP: It helps to heat the beans in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, it will make them more spreadable.
Next add some enchilada sauce on top of the bean layer. Sprinkle a little bit of cheese. Repeat twice.
On the last layer, you will add the rest of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. TIP: Leave about half a can of enchilada sauce on the side for extra sauce when serving. OPTIONAL: Sprinkle on a handful of cilantro with the cheese.
Bake in oven for 40 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes.